The Five Remembrances are the Buddha’s teaching of life and change.
Here is a beautiful version of The Five Remembrances from zen master, Thich Nhat Hanh.
- I am of nature to grow old. I cannot escape old age.
- I am of nature to have ill health. I cannot escape ill health.
- I am of nature to die. I cannot escape dying.
- All that is dear to me and eveyone I love are of the nature to change. There is no way to escape being seperated from them. I cannot keep anything. I come here empty-handed, and I go empty-handed.
- My actions are my only true belongings. I cannot escape the consequences of my actions. My actions are the ground on which I stand.